In 1913 the congregation unanimously agreed to build a church building (on what is now the North Road). By Dec. 28, the first Sunday after Christmas, the congregation was able to worship in their new building. They continued to meet there until the early 1940s, when the congregation realized the need to have a church building alongside the newly completed Highway 61. Land was obtained in 1946, and the congregation used rummage sales, bazaars, suppers and pie socials to raise initial funds. In 1946 the congregation and other local residents joined in a collaboration with a St. Olaf College “work-camp effort.” This was an idea that sprang from conversations between Pastor Aubrey Edmonds, Dr. Howard Hong (professor at St. Olaf who spent summers on his land in the Hovland area), and congregation members, including Harold Schuppel who was the chair of the building committee.
This collaboration led to an exciting adventure in realizing God’s creativity. The building was designed Professor Arnold Flaten, the head of the art department at St. Olaf, with the help of Ed Sovik. This was an early effort for both of them, and each became well recognized for their efforts in sacred art: Professor Flaten as a well-recognized sculptor and artist, Ed Sovik as architect of many church structures. The Trinity Church building was designed to make use of natural rock in harmony with the rugged setting of the North Shore.
"The Church's one foundation is
Jesus Christ her Lord"
local lumber and materials were used as much as possible, and portions of the original church were salvaged and moved to the new church (including sanctuary floor, church bell, doors and hymn board.) The work was done by congregation members, other area residents, and St. Olaf students on summer “work-camp” projects in 1947, 48, 49. While in Hovland, the students also participated with the congregation in worship, Vacation Bible School, Sunday School, meals and fund-raisers. The building was dedicated on July 16, 1950, with more than 200 people worshiping together—many outside enjoying the beautiful day.
As the Trinity 2009 Commemorative History relates, “worth remembering is the work of the Ladies’ Aid during the years the church building was being built and in the years following.” This meant lots of effort for raising money to support the building fund, purchase of piano and organ, and continuing mission of the church locally and across the world. “Not to be outdone in zeal, the men of the church put on a ham and trout supper every year in May to help pay off the mortgage.”
In 2018 the Congregation completed its addition of a Narthex, Pastor's study, church office area, and because of now having running water for the first time, bathrooms. Come and see this lovely place of God's creation.
More than 100 years later, Trinity continues to be a place of worship, community, and service. The stained glass window designed by Professor Flaten and the building itself reflect the beauty of the North Shore, and draw minds of worshipers, visitors, and those driving by to praise God. We thank God for this place where we gather and worship.